We’ve been working on a number of unfinished projects around the house.

(What’s that?  Put down the camera and hold the ladder?  Bah, you’ll be fine.)

When we were building the house we ran wires so we could install surround sound speakers in the living room as well as speakers in the dining room and on the porch.  But, um, we never put the speakers in…until last week.  When we ran the wires, we were at least smart enough to draw up a map noting where we put them.  And I was smart enough to put said map someplace I’d remember where it was after only a minimal amount of searching.  Josh installed the speakers in the dining room first.  On Monday night before Monday night football (you know, the dread Broncos vs Chargers game which shall not be spoken of again).  Those speakers went in easy-peasy.  Total install time was under 2 hours if I remember correctly.

Tuesday morning started bright and early with a bit of torture…I had 5 moles shaved off, Josh had 3.  Yeowza.  He’s got 2 more they want to take.  I…uh…I have 10 more.  *hangs head in shame*  On Tuesday they didn’t seem to be a big deal.  I think the numbing agent hadn’t really worn off.  A week later?  Good grief just heal already!  They’re so dang annoying!  And why do you react to the bandaids when you get this done?  We’ve tried different brands.  Still the same red welts.  I’ve worn bandaids for weeks and only ever had to worry about my skin shriveling up.  I’ve never reacted like this.  And of course one of mine is right in the crook of my elbow.  The other 3 are in my armpits.  You know, all places where the skin pulls and moves and is just generally ANNOYING. But anywho…

We took the day off, inflicted the torture, then ran some errands around Big Town.  Came home early and figured it’d be wise to pop in the last two speakers before the rugrats came home from daycare.  *cue ominous music*

Nothing is ever as easy as it should be, eh?  Josh cut the first hole in the living room ceiling, not quite where we had it marked on the map, but where we wanted it based on our furniture and such.  The wire should have still been easy reach.  *cue laugh track*  The above photo is Josh looking for the wire.  It was nowhere to be found.  Oh and there was a nice large piece of duct work about a foot from where we cut the hole.

So now what?  Because of the way the room is built, there’s no real way to run another wire.  Two walls are exterior (ie insulated) and the other contains the stairwells (yes the stairs going down are still unfinished, but the living room ceiling is blocked by a large header supporting the stairs to the second floor).  Oh heck.  Just cut out the other speaker hole and see what you find.

Luckily that hole contained the wire it was supposed to.  It also provided access to the wire we were looking for in the first hole.  Except, um, we’d wire tacked them to the studs.  Meaning no amount of yanking, pulling, or cursing resulted in a free, usable wire.  Instead Josh cut the wire and spliced a new speaker wire onto it.  Then of course he had to attach it to the end of a tape measure run through the 1/2 inch gap under that giant piece of duct work so he could retrieve it at the other end.

But finally…working speakers.  We aren’t even looking at the porch until this summer.

The other major project we’re working on is the lockers/shelving for the mudroom.  (But yeah, I’m unwilling to pay what PB wants for that get up, and I don’t want drawers on the bottom.)  So far the base has been built.  Oh, then Josh tore it apart and remade it.  Because I had planned for a 24″ deep base with 12″ lockers on top.  I figured that would be plenty of room to sit and put shoes on and stash stuff underneath as the kids grow.  It looked great on paper, but upon installation it proved a bit too close to the door for our comfort.  Hence the tearing apart, cutting everything down to 18″ and then rebuilding.  I’d say he’s stalling on building the rest because of that, but the truth is basketball started so there’s just not a lot of spare time right now.

And finally, this is not a project, but I’m happy to report Josh and the Boy have an exciting new toy.

Yes, it’s a robot vacuum cleaner.  It’s probably the gold standard of robot vacuums, if there is such a thing.  This is what my hubby wanted for his birthday and our anniversary.  So here it is.  The awesomeness comes in the fact that you can program it to run anytime of day, like, say, while we’re all gone.  The front edge is a bumper; when it hits a wall, couch, chair, cat, kid it turns and moves on in another direction.  I’m waiting for the cats to communicate their love for the new toy with some cat yak in our bed or something.  I’ll admit, I’m not 100% sold on the thing.  Partly due to the price tag.  But so far it seems to do a fairly good job picking up the various and sundry crumbs and hairs that collect on our wood floor.  The Christmas tree is going to be the hassle.  Somehow we’re going to have to block it off so it doesn’t suck up the tree skirt or otherwise tip over the tree.  But putting a bunch of boxes down in front of the tree or removing the tree skirt everyday does not sound like my ideal festive holiday season… stay tuned for the final verdict.

Oh, and the Boy has named our Roomba.  He’s officially “Chase Vacuum”.  Come on over, the boys would be glad to let you play with their new pet.

Advertisements